Header Ads

Laverne Cox Interview: Jolt | Screen Rant

Jolt is Amazon's latest entry into the action thriller genre, dropping July 23 on the Prime Video streaming service. The film follows Lindy, played Underworld's Kate Beckinsale, whose hair-trigger anger issues often result in dangerously aggressive outbursts that hamper her daily life.

Her attempts to treat this very difficult condition are thrown into chaos when she meets and subsequently loses the man of her dreams, Justin (Jai Courtney, The Suicide Squad). From then on, the only people standing in the way of her vengeance-fueled mission are two well-meaning cops: Officer Nevin (Laverne Cox, Orange Is the New Black) and Detective Vickars (Bobby Cannavale, Mr. Robot).

Related: Jai Courtney Interview: Jolt

Cox spoke to Screen Rant about her character's "good cop" persona and the honor she felt working alongside actors like Cannavale and Beckinsale.

Screen Rant: I love how Detective Nevin is playing things by the book while her partner is out there going off-script. Can you talk a little bit about the dynamic with Bobby Cannavale?

Laverne Cox: Oh, it was so much fun. I was just thinking about when we were in the car and I was just hitting him repeatedly. He was very fine with me [doing it]. I'm constantly melting down in relationship to his behavior.

What I love about her is that she's foul-mouthed and curses like a sailor, but a lot of that's really about control. And I have learned in my personal life that control is really an illusion, and that there are many things that we can't control. But her lack of control, and then feeling like Bobby's character doesn't have her back, it's enraging for her. She's disappointed. It was a lot of fun to play.

And Bobby was just great. I had a lot of moments - and I'm having this moment now - of, "I got to play scenes with Bobby Cannavale." Like, I've been watching him on television for years, and I know he has this wonderful career in the theater as well. He's just a really solid, incredible actor - and I got to play scenes with him. It just feels like such an honor. I'm just so grateful to Tanya [Wexler, the director] and the casting folks, and everyone who made this happen.

I really enjoyed the back and forth between you and Lindy, because right from the start, Nevin knows there's something off about her. Can you talk about that adversarial dynamic?

Laverne Cox: It's interesting. That certainly was there, but in retrospect I'm just so in awe of Kate and just such a huge fan. I fangirled out - like, I waited till Tanya said cut, but then I was like, "Oh, my God! This is so cool." The first time she pulls a gun on me and she's holding my throat, I was totally 12 years old or something.

And she doesn't disappoint. She manages to be down-to-earth and really funny and just real, but then she's a movie star. She is a movie star, don't get it twisted. She's a diva in a way, but she's not difficult. She's prepared; she shows up and she's utterly professional, but there's just an energy. You don't have to be difficult or rude, or be mean to people on set. There was none of that. But she's a movie star, you know what I mean?

I think that's the thing too. The people who are throwing tantrums and being difficult don't have it. Maybe they're just insecure; people go through things; I don't know, and I don't want to judge. But it's so beautiful that she is very much a movie star, but she's also very [kind]. Not that people should be well-behaved, but I just hate unprofessionalism.

Next: Tomorrow War Hidden Detail Reveals An Even Darker Future

Jolt premieres July 23 on Amazon Prime Video.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3kGZwQd
via Whole story

No comments

Powered by Blogger.