Header Ads

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This movie was just released on Netflix this month in the US. I read an article of all the things coming to Netflix in August and this one caught my attention.

I just finished watching it minutes ago and just.....wow. What a work of art.

I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan normally. I like some stuff he's in but I mostly dislike him because of what I saw of him in the documentary "Jim and Andy." The documentary highlighted his method acting when he played Andy Kaufman and it was just really frustrating to watch. I don't agree with all of his methods, and I feel like being a great artist is much more than making beautiful art but also about who you are. I'm open to discussion on this topic! And I also know he is a product of Hollywood so it's not that I hold all of this against him but still. (Sidenote: in that documentary he talked about ESSM and about how before he started shooting he talked to the director I think about being so depressed and beaten down and the director was like "Ugh, please stay this way, this is perfect for the movie" and how messed up Hollywood can be)

But all of that aside, what a freaking performance from him. I was just captivated by him. There were moments that I thought back to that part of that documentary and almost felt guilty for loving his performance so much, knowing what a rough place he might have been in during the filming of this movie. But he was just stellar.

I loved the nonlinear story telling. For the first half hour I felt like I was hanging on for dear life trying to make sense of what I was watching but as the story moved forward things became clearer and clearer so that at the end you are left with this beautiful, completed picture. It was a wonderfully wild ride that left me so satisfied.

I also loved the cinematic choices for portraying the human mind and memories and what it means so forget. Specifically the moments in his childhood memories where it flashes between him being an adult and him being a child. Isn't that really how we remember things from our childhood? Like you remember that kid that did that one thing and then you realize "wait that was me" and you put yourself back in that moment. (Is this making sense?)

If I were to sum up this movie all I would say is "Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." So beautiful. I'm so glad I took the time to watch it today!

Have you seen this movie? What are your thoughts? On the movie, on Jim Carrey? I'd love to hear people's input!!!

submitted by /u/Madi27
[link] [comments]

from Movie News and Discussion https://ift.tt/33O4PoO
via Whole story

No comments

Powered by Blogger.