Header Ads

Ray Liotta & Julia Fox Interview: No Sudden Move | Screen Rant

No Sudden Move, Steven Soderbergh’s latest foray into the crime thriller genre, arrives July 1 on HBO Max. The film boasts a large ensemble cast to help carry out its capers, and makes full use of its 1950s Detroit setting.

Julia Fox and Ray Liotta play the unhappily married Vanessa and Frank, who have their own personal entanglements with other characters in addition to their hand in the criminal activity of the town. The actors spoke to Screen Rant about working with Soderbergh and stepping into their roles.

Everyone has a problem with Frank these days. Can you tell me who Frank is, and what you wanted to bring to the role that wasn't on the page?

Ray Liotta: I just do what the screenplay tells me to do. It's just the story, and I just follow that.

Vanessa is a femme fatale right out of 1950s noir. Can you talk to me a little bit about Vanessa and her history with Benicio del Toro's Ronald?

Julia Fox: I think that she probably married Frank thinking that she was going to get a lot of money or be treated a certain way. And when that didn't check out, she turned to Ronald, and he was gullible enough to fall for her. She took advantage of both of them, but I think that she was pushed there.

I think being a woman during that time was probably really hard, and being around this very macho, toxic type of masculinity probably drove her up the wall. And she just did what she needed to do to survive.

Frank is revered in the city of Detroit for many reasons. Can you tell me a little bit about who Frank is?

Ray Liotta: He's just the guy who's in charge of a bunch of other people that do bad things.

This film is shot in Detroit, and it looks brilliant. Julia, can you talk to me about what the actual city of Detroit added to the film?

Julia Fox: There's so much history in Detroit. It's lived through beautiful times, and it's lived through really hard times - and that is reflected in the city that you see today. It was really nice to revisit a Detroit that was booming and making money, that was vibrant with things happening there. It was really nice to be able to catch a glimpse of that, and I felt very nostalgic for a time that I didn't even live through but had heard about for so long.

Ray, this is your first time working with Steven Soderbergh, and he really understands the language of film. Can you talk to me about the collaboration process of working with him and his directing style?

Ray Liotta: He just knows what he wants to do. I think that he even had it edited in his head. And he operates the camera, so he knows what he wants and what he doesn't. It's just really nice to work with somebody - because there's a lot of directors who don't know what they want to do, and they overshoot because they're not sure. I'm pretty sure it's in his head before he even starts.

Julia, the backdrop of this film is the 1950s, in racially charged Detroit. Can you talk to me about why that's the perfect setting and backdrop for a film like this?

Julia Fox: Definitely. I think it's very relevant to a lot of what we're seeing today as well. I love that Don is, in my eyes, the only redeeming character. He's the only one that has even a little bit of morals, and you really want him to win.

I remember as I was reading the script, when I thought it was over for him, I was like, "Wait, no! That's not fair." I feel like movies can be messed up, but they have to be fair. I don't want to give it away, but I loved Curt. I think he was probably the best character - aside from mine, of course.

Next: Brendan Fraser and Bill Duke Interview for No Sudden Move

No Sudden Move is now streaming on HBO Max.



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/2SJykVD
via Whole story

No comments

Powered by Blogger.