Header Ads

Christina Milian Interview: Resort To Love | Screen Rant

Resort To Love, a romantic comedy arriving July 29 on Netflix, combines music and love on the gorgeous shores of Mauritius. When still-struggling musician Erica (Christina Milian, Soundtrack) sees her engagement broken and upcoming album collaboration postponed, she tries to renew herself by taking a wedding singer job at a posh resort.

Little does she know, the very ex she was trying to get over has chosen that same location for his wedding. As she and Jason  (Jay Pharoah, Saturday Night Live) try to keep their connection a secret from his fiancée Beverly (Christiani Pitts), Erica starts falling for Jason's brother Caleb (Sinqua Walls, 15: 17 to Paris). Can everyone find their happy ending, set to the tune of their favorite Alicia Keys song?

Related: Jay Pharoah & Sinqua Walls Interview: Resort To Love

Milian spoke to Screen Rant about tackling the complicated dynamics within the love square and her own thoughts about singing in character.

Screen Rant: One of the things I really enjoyed was the dynamic between Beverly and Erica, which I was not expecting at all. Can you talk about this love quadrangle where no one is villainized and what that dynamic is like?

Christina Milian: I like that you said that. I love the relationship between her and Beverly too because, honestly, the odds were not in their favor. They're in a situation where they're both facing things, and it also has to do with the heart. And at the same time, if you really look at the overall picture, they can't really be mad at each other.

I'm so happy Beverly doesn't end up being mad at Erica, because she really likes her as a girl - as a woman - and understands the situation and the circumstance. So, I'm happy that as women, we're not put up against each other. Because I think in life, we come through so many circumstances; we have so many things that we go through, and we can relate to those things. That helped to understand another person's situation. So, I did like that, especially for the two of them.

Music is a very important part of Erica's identity, and of your own life. How different is it for you to perform as someone else?

Christina Milian: That's a good question. I try not to think about it too much. I thought about what the scenes were when I was singing the songs, so I did that.

Otherwise, I think you're probably gonna see a lot of me in that character still when it comes to the music. Also, I've understood and I've been in her shoes, where I've had dreams shattered. I've had heartbreak, and I've made sacrifices for other things that happen. So, I think I do bring a piece of me to the table, and I try not to fight that.

I think it's important to take a little piece of your life, and to be able to relate to certain scenes. Yeah, I think my fans would like that too. Because when I'm singing the songs, it's not like I'm not singing with an accent. I just get into the music.

I loved how many songs we got, and I was surprised Alicia Keys produced it. What is it like to be working with her production company, as another woman whose music is very vital to her?

Christina Milian: I think it's really cool, especially doing a romantic comedy. I think romantic comedies make people feel good. Alicia Keys, I think so many people feel so invested in her. We feel like we relate to her, and she thinks about people.

I love that she took on this project, and it's something that's lighthearted and will make people feel good and make people happy. It's a good story too, with real people and real stories. I'm honored that I'm able to play this role, and that they chose me to play Erica. To be able to sing her songs is a huge honor as well.

Next: 10 Popular Musicals That Are Getting The Movie Treatment



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3y82xwZ
via Whole story

No comments

Powered by Blogger.